Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday Painting Festivities!

The Friday of Fall Break-the day most college students sleep in and catch up with friends or even spend a day in bed with Netflix. But my Friday was the complete opposite. My Friday was a day full of personal and mental growth. Today my Atlanta AFB trip returned to the Rush Center where we completed a very simple task of making phone calls through a phone bank, hanging up boards and painting walls, but a job with a very powerful impact. It was amazing to me that with only a few hours of painting and making phone calls, we supported and helped the LBGT community ten-fold. Because we made phone calls to random strangers, we 14 UT students may be the reason that Georgia eventually allows same-sex marriage. We 14 UT students can also be the key to the happiness of couples from all over the country, just because of this small and easy volunteer activity we completed. Furthermore, because we hung up, painted and beautified boarders and the walls in the main meeting room of the Rush Center, the LBGT community will be able to hang up works of art and even old vintage Pride flags, some which where probably even the first ever flown in Georgia, so that they can further beautify the Rush Center and even bring in people who are willing to give donations to the Rush Center, given that they do so much work with so little funding... Here is a picture of the multipurpose room we painted!
Over all, it really touched me that I only donated about 6 straight hours of my time doing such easy work, yet at the same time, we are making such a HUGE change which can only help and benefit the LBGT community and further promote equality in the future!! :)

I also want to mention that with doing such fun and easy work with my 13 fellow AFB leaders/participants, it's amazing how close we've all gotten in only a day and a half. We went from quietly making awkward noises and comments to now getting full on ab workouts due to intense and crazy laughter!! I love my AFB group so much and I couldn't imagine spending my fall break with anything else!!
 
Lots of AFB love,
Zeenat <3

No comments:

Post a Comment